Backside of the Evergreen Brickworks, Toronto
Saturday was a hot, hazy day, but - in spite of the heat - many Torontarians were at the Evergreen Brick Works, a.k.a. the Don Valley Brick Works, a former quarry that has been converted into a cultural centre and city park.
As seen from the ponds
The park includes naturalized ponds and the buildings have been restored by Evergreen, a Canadian environmental group that's dedicated to restoring nature in urban environments.
One of many old photos showing some of the Brickworks' history
Originally, the land was owned by brothers who operated a paper mill. While constructing a fence, one brother discovered good quality clay perfect for making high quality brick. By 1907 between 85,000 to 100,000 bricks were made here every day. But by the mid 80s much of the usable clay had been quarried.
Workers wearing t-shirts that say: Imagine your city with nature
Trail, bridge and pond
In 1994 the quarry was filled in and landscaped to create three ponds, water being diverted from the nearby Mud Creek. The rest of the area was planted in native species. Fish, birds and other wildlife have moved in.
Outdoor eatery and bricked pathway
The brick works is now a destination enjoyed by families and individuals, the offerings including an organic food market, heritage tours and garden workshops.
Resting in the heat
More photos from Our World can be seen by clicking HERE.